Meet Toby Honsberger, EdD, BCBA-D and executive director of The Learning Academy at The Els Center for Excellence. He’s literallllly a genius (and a God to Kristi’s J.R.) when it comes to applying virtual reality technology to TLA’s curriculum. The Disorderly Blondes had a blast inducting yet another blonde guest into their #disorderlytribe. Interviewing Dr. Toby without cracking up was virtually impossible as Brenda and Kristi are literallllly dopes.
Check out The Disorderly Blondes’ social media accounts for exclusive video of their VR misadventures to a forbidden winery, a surprisingly accessible Cuba, and Vertigo City.
Blonde Terms To Know & Show Mentions
The Disorderly Blondes would like to let you know this page contains affiliate links. The links provide us with a small percentage of commission but do not cost you anything extra. ¡Dale!
- cafecito a Cuban shot of expresso; vital to The Disorderly Blondes’ survival
- exposure therapy a psychological treatment developed to help individuals confront their fears; VR can help people work through issues they have anxiety about (i.e., Brenda’s fear of dogs, housework, y pata sucias) by virtually placing them in these normally panic inducing situations
- “H”oby “T”onsberger Kristi impresses Dr. Toby Honsberger by calling him by the wrong name the second the interview begins (wish her luck keeping J.R. in Dr. Toby’s program after this snafu); IMPORTANT TO KNOW seeing as it gives everyone incurable, 30 minute long giggles; the Disorderly Blondes may or may NOT edit out this clip destined for their blooper reel; Dr. Toby’s new alias and alter ego
- Honsberger Estate Winery v. Darioush The Disorderly Blondes plan to decide this battle while properly VR mapping these wineries for Google Earth (you’re welcome).
- HTC VIVE PRO the professional grade virtual reality system used at The Learning Academy at The Els Center for Excellence
- Kiss, Marry, Kill a forced question answer game (yikes); not to be confused with BTK, a notorious serial killer; Brenda, Toby, and Kristi’s initials combined; ¿coincidence?
- La Ventanita The Miami Herald’s video series featuring local y famoso Miami chefs eating shit over café y pastelitos; oye y FYI gringos: la ventanita translates into “drive thru” in 561 English; Dr. Toby has been assigned the Pitbull episode- ¡dale y there will be un examen! Question #1: What is the name of Pitbull’s NEW Miami restaurant? Hmmm…
- The Learning Academy at The Els Center of Excellence an autism charter school for students ages 14-21 living in Palm Beach County; heaven on earth
- The Learning Center at The Els Center of Excellence an autism charter school for students ages 3-14 living in Palm Beach County
- Learning Styles Dr. Toby refers to Howard Gardner’s theory of Multiple Intelligences which includes Linguistic, Logical/Mathematical, Visual/Spacial, Body Kinesthetic, Musical,
Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Blonde Intelligence
- Oculus Go Standalone Virtual Reality Headset; ADDICTING; thousands of apps, access to your favorite streaming platforms (i.e. Netflix, Hulu), and SO much more; Kristi is VERY close to stealing it from J.R.; featured in Episode 10 A Few of Our Favorite Things and Episode 10 Show Notes
- pastelitos (not penicillin yet a cure-all) Cuban pastries filled with sweet or savory fillings; totally fat free; choose from guava, guava and cheese, beef, chicken, or ham. ¿Como se dice ADDICTING en español?
- Prince Edward Island literallllly the furthest point from Hialeah, Florida on the world map; roughly the size of Delaware (as opposed to Hialeah which is roughly the size of Dolphin Mall); Dr. Toby’s hometown.